Thursday, April 10, 2008

Today

Today was a great day! It was one of those days that you dream about - not too vividly though - you don't necessarily want to live it. No, it was one of those it-would-be-great-if-it-happened-to-someone-else kinda days.

It all began with me waking up from the dead, wandering zombie-like into the shower only to realize my towel was in my room, wandering back zombie like only to discover it was actually in the bathroom because I had just taken it there you blithering numb-skull, and then wandering .. oh you get the picture. I was wandering a lot.

Then I met R., which is an exciting experience if you want to simultaneously feel proud to know someone like her and feel pity for someone who works so hard and whose students don't give an iota of a shit.

Then went to class post-lunch, which, for those of you who may not have tried it, makes you feel like the aforementioned iota. Doubly so when the lecture is in complex analysis.

Following that was an intense conversation with one of my students on what a similar triangle is. The kind of conversation where the primary speaker discovers that removing one's liver with a pair of scalpels is not such a bad idea after all.

Then I gave a talk - the less said the better.

But now comes the genuinely cool part - between 4.30 and 8.00, apart from a conversation with S. I don't remember doing anything except work. It was ridiculous the amount I ended up getting done. Discovered this crazy "expectation" function, an extended Fourier series, and proved that a certain algebra (goes by the name of Cuntz) was as simple as they come!

Ended the day by proctoring an exam, where the aforementioned liver was officially removed.

No comments: